Monday, July 13, 2009

A little social commentary....




VS














Like most red-blooded Americans, I watched movies and some tv this past weekend. What I noticed about what I was watching was how widespread infidelity has become in pop culture. I watched "He's Just Not That Into You" as well as a few episodes of "Californication" yesterday as part of my girlfriend's and my lazy Sunday tradition. In both plots, spouses are depicted cheating on their significant others on various occasions which begs the question, since when did it become socially acceptable to sleep with someone other than your spouse?




I really do believe that marriage has become the dating of yesteryear. It seems that many people rush into marriage seeing it more as a status symbol instead of a statement of commitment. These kinds of willy-nilly marriages show a disturbing lack of foresight by people (mostly my age) and then, eventually, lead to infidelity, divorce, or both.




So, back to the question, when did it become socially acceptable to cheat? I don't recall seeing Jason Seaver (Growing Pains) cheating on his wife or Fred Flintstone divorcing Wilma. I don't have an answer to the question but I do know that it will have an impact on my generation as well as future generations. Instead of having role models that observe the commitments they have made we have people like Paris Hilton and Gabrielle (Desperate Housewives). With this kind of trend, what kind of values do we expect our children to have?



Are you comfortable with your children growing up with shows like Desperate Housewives, Gossip Girl, and The Secret Life of the American Teenager? I'm certainly not.
PS - Reading what I wrote above, I sound like a total prude. For those of you who know me, that is the last thing I am. I just believe that marriage is a binding agreement (between ANY 2 people, I'm not a Republican, remember?) that should not be taken lightly. The movement to treat it like a passing fad pisses me off to no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment