Thursday, September 17, 2009

Well I've been "off the air" for awhile and there's a very good reason for that. I've had a quasi-epiphany when it comes to politics. There is little to no point in me getting all huffy about these issues like I have in the past. Quoting Jeremy Clarkson, arguing politics is "like blowing on an oil rig fire". It does no good for, even before I open my mouth, people already agree with what I'm about to say or they disagree. I sincerely doubt I have even changed someone's mind about an issue. What it boils down to is people either believe that the government should assume all responsibility or they believe the government is an overgrown bully who takes your lunch money (as I and my family and friends believe). The latter already agree with me so my rants do no good there and the former refuse to change their beliefs (or, more typically, don't read my postings at all). It is rare to find any audience member with an open enough mind to be critical of their own views and beliefs (I consider myself to have this ability most of the time). So what good am I doing if I am just supporting already held beliefs and not enlightening anyone?

I have to admit that I do enjoy writing about societal issues. It allows me to think things through better than if I just do it in my own head (it's a scary place, trust me). So, right now, I am considering if I should even continue writing at all. If I do, there will be a drastic change in subject matter. I will write more about entertainment, cars (including British car television shows), issues that my generation face, and random crap that happens to me. So we shall see if anything comes from this. In any event, I feel I am a more informed individual for keeping this site up and running. Thanks for reading and stay tuned next week to see if I'm back.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment